Log Off... Shut Down... Get Outside!
Pet Cloud Experiment
Last week, we suggested cloud gazing for a relaxing weekend activity. Hopefully it gave you and your family or friends the chance to slow down and be present with yourself and with nature.
Did you know there is more than one way to experience clouds? Have you ever made a pet cloud? Creating a cloud in a jar is a fun experiment to get up close and personal with your own cloud!
How to Make a Pet Cloud
- Glass jar with a lid
- Hot water
- Ice cubes
- Hair spray
- Pour the hot water into the glass jar. Kiddos – do this with adult supervision.
- Swirl the water around the jar to warm up the entire insides of the jar.
- Put the lid on the jar opening but place it upside-down and sitting on top of the jar, rather than screwing the lid onto the jar.
- Place multiple ice cubes in the upside-down jar lid.
- Very quickly, remove the lid and spray the hairspray inside the jar. Replace the lid immediately after.
- You should soon see your cloud start to form inside the jar!
- After a few minutes with your cloud, you can let it out of the jar by simply removing the lid. Watch as your cloud escapes! Does it make any shapes?
- Repeat this process as many times as you want! You can have tons of pet clouds!
We offer a periodic newsletter with information about upcoming events and programs.
Create Family fun
MetroParks provides opportunities to experience open green spaces near home. Pick the time of day that fits your busy schedule to spend some time with nature. Hike a trail, wander through natural habitats, view wildlife or just play! Please consider donating to further MetroParks ability to provide these resources.